Controversy with Mike

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seanan
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 am

http://www.erepublik.com/en/article/-isf-mikebane-a-case-study-1891689/1/20

Not sure the Irish Social Front should be pinning itself onto the issue. Its a good project, and a personal opinion from Conway should be expressed without it.

That said. As I'm new, anyone want to explain what is going on to hold Mike accountable for this? I knew about the Red Star, I didn't know about the change of name. I've always tried not to mark Mike as a career politician, but quite frankly Conway paints a convincing picture.

From the shouts about the Red Star. Mike admitted needing, paraphrasing, his e-peen rubbed in order to keep motivated and interested. I don't think this is a suitable mind frame of a Party President of the EA to have, as it threatens to ruin the party's reputation. As much as I don't think its wise to vote for a country president whom shows signs of depression and should likely get help, rather than relying on the eIrish population being nice. We are, afterall, a hard hearted bunch.

Mike should consider resigning, for the good of the party. Or if not, perhaps the EA has a way on deciding policy like the Dail does? Implanting one if not.

New to the forums, but aint seen a discussion on this. Better here, imo, than in the media.

Back to top Go down
Ian E Coleman
Údarás
Údarás

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:14 am

I'll try my best to explain the situation as I see it.

Conway's article does a very good job of showing the mistakes that Mike has made since becoming PP (it was a very close election which makes this whole situation even more difficult). I think that Mike may have made the mistake of believing that being PP of EA is a privilege - when in fact I've always viewed it as a serious responsibility. I think that the changes Mike made represented a lack of respect for the party and its members - but I believe that it was an honest mistake - rather than a PTO which I think of as a malicious and conscious attack.

What Conway's article unfortunately missed, was that Mike has already admitted that his actions were a mistake, and the party has been returned to its former state (we have an EA PM chat with all of our members where a lot of this discussion has moved to from the forum - we'll include you in the next one Seanan). The general consensus seems to be that in the future changes to the logo and the party image should be discussed by the party and voted on just like everything else that we do to represent ourselves.

I'm obviously biased as the creator of the party and its basic image, but I think that the majority of the party, and especially our core members, identify the party with its logo and don't want to see important elements thrown away without a discussion or anything new added in the same way. I also think that its clear that Mike branding the party after himself doesn't represent the party and its core values either (not that Mike's beliefs/values aren't compatible with the party, but that the idolization of any one individual is in some way counter intuitive to values like independent thought, community, and democracy)

I don't think that Mike needs to resign personally. I believe that he's learned his lesson - and after all, the party should be stronger than disintegrating because of the temporary vandalism of its image (so the whole thing hasn't bothered me as much as it could). I'm pretty sure that Mike is willing to resign if that's the will of the party, but regardless, democracy and the choices of the party voters will protect us from any kind of dictatorship.

So I think we can all calm down and take a deep breath.

(TL/DR version: Conway is right about Mike's mistakes, but Mike has admitted and apologized for them, and it is possible to move on)
Back to top Go down
Seanan
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Slightly touch, full of sense. Although I am not convinced he has learnt any lesson, hes moved from one political party/MU to another when it didn't go his way (imo).

However, you make a strong case for him not resigning. That may be a bit extreme. I do mention resignation though, because of preserving our image to potential members. After that article, I have doubts new members will join if they see Mike Bane (The ego-high man Conway has made him out to be) running as the PP.
Back to top Go down
MikeBane
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Well guys, here is my input and I'd like you all to consider seriously.

Ian, thanks for providing us with a good rational solution that doesn't involve a lose-lose situation; And also your understanding. I learned not to ever mess with the party's image or name, it was disrespectful. I apologize for that. Before all this happened, though, I was planning to leave to eIndia to join my fellow eScotsmen in a movement. Due to the circumstances, I think it is best for the party if I resign as PP and move early.

After apologizing, I sought to try hard to help this party. Well then, yes, I did replace the raven with a red star. I thought it looked cool and I wanted to see if the party would possibly, apparently not many, like it. Mad stupid. Haha

I hope the party can move on and progress. I wish the party the best, it does have the most potential in eIreland. Not justifying my actions, but out of my presidency know that the new rule or procedure in redesigning the party's image/orientation was a positive outcome...

-MikeBane

P.S. - I know some will accuse this incident as being the reason for my leave. No, I planned on leaving at the end of the month after my PP term. Circumstances, though, are the reason I am leaving a few days early.
Back to top Go down
Seanan
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Believe Ian said you didn't need to resign as the solution, that was myself. But he certainly does have an understanding which I'm afraid I'm a lesser man for not obtaining.

Stepping down because of this, will allow the party to regroup, and reshape the party's reputation.

Still think Conway should remove the ISF from the title.
Back to top Go down
Pátrún
Pátrún

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Mike, you didn't do anything wrong. I think Conway was a bit out of line posting an article under the ISF without running it by us first. We could have sorted this out, out of public eyes. I hope you do well in where ever you end up Smile
Back to top Go down
Pátrún
Pátrún

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Seanan wrote:
Still think Conway should remove the ISF from the title.
I agree completely with this
Back to top Go down
An Sluagh
Pátrún
Pátrún

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:27 am

ISF removed. Been out since I wrote the article, head is pounding this morning -.- now hurling.

I wrote the article because not only I saw this but many members of Irish society. I received a set of logs about Mike wanting to control the ILP? Also was given some quotes.

I have seen him at work and has clearly been self centred.

If there is one thing I would like him to take from this experience is that you live in a community, consult with others and care about them as much as yourself.
Back to top Go down
Seanan
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:31 am

I agree with Conway's message. Mike certainly did wrong, and I have yet to see anything by him which isn't centred around his own political goals - it was most noticeable, for me, in the PM chain during his CP run where he described having LA members in the DoD as a sure way to increase LA members.. as if he was a Bobo-Stalin figure.

However, I think this should have been discussed on the forum. Away from public eyes. If Conway wanted to release that article to show the community Mike's true colours, he should have waited until Mike was not the identifiable figurehead of the party. In future, I think it would do the party more good, if we agree to keep our discontent within the party.
Back to top Go down
An Sluagh
Pátrún
Pátrún

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:30 pm

To be honest, it's not just about what happened in the party. This was just a trigger to what my message is.

From when MikeBane first joined Eire Aonair I did not approve his membership.

Eire Aonair is about being open minded.
Back to top Go down
Pátrún
Pátrún

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Conway, you did PM me about your anger because Mike was the PP. I see your point and it is a very good point. Though you should have ran the article past us before publishing it
Back to top Go down
MikeBane
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

MrConwayTwitty wrote:

From when MikeBane first joined Eire Aonair I did not approve his membership.

Eire Aonair is about being open minded.

That has to be the most contradictory statement I've read all day...

Open mindedness YET contempt? Unprecedented contempt? Question

I have been deeply offended and hurt by the article. In many ways. It was a personal attack against me. It was personal.

Honestly, he ruined any credibility I had, ruined all that was good to my name, and now the majority will never fully-trust/like my name. He has ruined my political career.

And so I leave eIreland. After being here for over a year now, this is how I get to leave. From the death of the Labour Party...After fighting side by side in Louth against the Brits in late-December/early-January. OJ's impeachment. From the formation of the IA, SoE, and Fenian Brotherhood. The Gonzo controversy and all. This is how I get to leave after serving as VP, Minister of 'State, Immigration, Community, and Propaganda', founding the ILP, It breaks me to know I have to leave like this. No man should, except Gonzo.

Back to top Go down
Seanan
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Perhaps if you stopped worrying about your own political career, and instead about what you can do to benefit eIreland, then maybe you wouldn't have to leave. In fact, leaving because you are not popular, and own goals have not been met - mark you as a career politician. And for that, I'd never respect you.

Its laughable. When has serving your country for the betterment ever been rewarding? Ask IBhoy, hes certainly not popular, not widely trusted but you'd be a fool to suggest he doesn't benefit eIreland with what he does. I've never been liked by all, still doesn't stop me doing good for the country.

Until you learn to differentiate between what you want and what the country needs, then you aint going to get anywhere. Not in eIreland.

Back to top Go down
An Sluagh
Pátrún
Pátrún

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 pm

The likes of Seanan and Ibhoy have done so much for the country. Yet they aren't loved by everyone.

Without them eIreland would't exist. Fact.
Back to top Go down
MikeBane
Cuiditheoir
Cuiditheoir

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:05 pm

I have chosen not to leave. I just can't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Controversy with Mike   

Back to top Go down

Controversy with Mike
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1